This blog started as an outcry against plastic pollution. My journey to educate myself about the devastating impact our throw away society is having on the planet has led me to uncover the deeper root of the problem which is our illusion that somehow we are separate from nature. I believe that the only solution to ending the wholesale destruction of nature is to reignite reverence for the land and begin to understand again that earth is the sacred provider of life. We will only save or care about what we love. Let's fall in love with the earth, her oceans, rivers, forests, flowers, animals, and people. In our collective wonder, appreciation and action we can protect and restore what still remains of her beauty.

Water Deva



"Water is a Deva- a divine being who offers her body to be used as the basis of life" says PR Tigunait, a Tantric scholar. Reading these words in the recent Yoga Journal set me adrift to contemplate on this lovely thought. Water does have a magical essence: healing, invigorating, meditative, cleansing, sacred and beautiful beyond description. I've always been drawn like a magnet to the great source of all water, the sea. Something about it gives me a feeling of expansiveness, peace and belonging, as if she were a mother or a goddess calling me home to myself. After a recent diving experience I said to my husband that I felt completely renewed like I'd been baptized again. There's just no other feeling like being in the expansive blue full body caressing embrace of water. The myriad wild wonders revealed beneath her blue cloak are so infinitely marvelous.

Throughout my life the sea has soothed me, supported me and celebrated with me. Perhaps replacing the mother that I lost when far too young. The fact is we wouldn't exist without precious, beautiful water. How heartbreaking then to know how polluted and abused water all over the world is today. She is sick and suffering in a toxic mix of chemicals, oil, radiation, garbage and plastic. Why do we use water sources as a dumping ground for what we don't want to have or see anymore? Don't we know that by poisoning it we are poisoning ourselves? Perhaps it's time to start revering water as the divine being that it is. I owe water my life and wish I could protect it, but fear it's too late. On this earth day I send a prayer out into the world that we will start to honor the sacred source of life itself. In my dream for the planet I throw my arms around the oceans and return that tight embrace hoping to give back just a drop of what the divine water Deva has given me.




1 comment:

  1. I am in awe that as disrespectful, disconnected as humans sometimes are that Nature continues to nurture us, feed us, trees still grow, water still flows.....

    Thank you so much for your posts to cause awareness that without our awesome rivers, lakes, and oceans no healing is possible, we are biologically unable to survive without water...water symbolizes emotions...to pollute it is to pollute ourselves!!!

    ReplyDelete